Monday, January 25, 2010

Leap into the new frontier

I have coffee or other connecting times with fellow unemployees and we kibitz about all the various and sundry things that bubble up during the course of our lives.  And it is true, that during these kinds of life tests, that you really find out who are, for lack of a better term, genuine people.  There are the pretend people who go around with their heads in a haze and are totally clueless about what is going on in the world.  And then there are the people that have engaged.  These are curious people who want to learn in order to figure why things tick along the way they do.

I recently met a person who accosted me and called me, funnily enough, a communist, because I dared to give voice to all of the evidence supporting global climate change.  I had a couple other people take a similar aggressive stance towards me because I stepped up to take on a challenge that, well, challenged me in somewhat a public setting.   In thinking back on these events, I realize that I launched into each endeavor with a big breath and a sense of...Well, here goes nothing...Nothing ventured, nothing gained...What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger...Add your own adage.

In one circumstance, I got a heavy negative response from select individuals amongst my acquaintance and at first I was confused.  But then, one of those genuine people told me to ignore them because they were jealous.  I was floored.  People were jealous of me for essentially being willing to make a fool of myself.  Wow.  Brings to mind some other adages:  Deer in the headlights...Scared of their own shadow...the blind leading the blind...

So, you blogospherians, in hopes of building a new cadre of genuine people in the world, stride forth, engage, learn, and eat haggis.*



* By the way, the canned haggis I referred to in my earlier blog is:  Caledonian Kitchen Haggis With Sirloin Beef, 14.5-Ounce Cans (Pack of 3) and Caledonian Kitchen Haggis With Lamb, 14.5-Ounce Cans (Pack of 3).

No comments:

Post a Comment